We can consider a dashboard to be a visual representation of data. Its primary purpose will be to present complicated information in an understandable format for the users. It is essential for a dashboard to be clear, meaningful, simple, as well as consistent. The most essential step for designing dashboards UI will be to comprehend the audience for whom the dashboard is going to be created. You must know what type of information your audience likes to see. Designing dashboards UI can prove to be quite challenging and here, we have mentioned a useful guide for getting the job done in the best possible manner.
The actual purpose of any dashboard would be to present complicated information in a simpler and understandable manner.
• Refrain from providing plenty of info which the user will find difficult to absorb.
• We should use fewer columns for displaying information.
• Get rid of unnecessary content materials so as to minimize clutter.
It is a fact that a dashboard is going to appear much better in case it is designed employing a consistent design.
• Make use of similar layouts as well as visualizations between groups for making the dashboard simpler to read.
• The information which is related to each other must be put closer to one another.
• We must group any related content visually.
3. Display only what is required
While designing dashboards UI, the obvious challenge will be to figure out the balance between the information which we can display and that which we ought to display on the dashboard. Although it is tempting to create every possible chart, card, as well as filter, it will be better to make everything simple. In case the users like to find more info, make it simple for them to access information in one more area of your product.
Displaying any related data together within a dashboard will allow the user to comprehend it quickly and easily.
• We should place any information which happens to be connected closer to one another.
• Any related information should not be scattered across the dashboard.
• Related content should be grouped visually.
It is essential for the elements of a particular dashboard to align visually so as to provide it with a balanced appearance.
• Make sure to align the dashboard elements with each other so that it is possible to organize them in a better manner.
• The dashboard widgets should be placed in a grid view.
• In case a view happens to be unaligned, it will not provide a proper impact to the user.
The presence of whitespace in the dashboards UI design is going to appeal to the user once he is able to see the information.
• In case we reduce the whitespace, it will confuse the user with a disorderly appearance.
• We should make use of whitespace for grouping information which is related visually.
Make use of an effective color scheme for grabbing the attention of the user and also helping them to go through the info quickly and easily.
• We should select colors meticulously for making the content readable.
• We should also use maximum contrast for displaying the visual elements over the background properly.
It will be a good idea to display standard fonts on the dashboard unless and otherwise there is any particular requirement for using other fonts.
• Make use of standard fonts given that they are simpler to read as well as scan.
• Although unusual as well as stylish fonts might appear to be attractive, they are somewhat difficult to comprehend in the long run.
• Make sure to avoid text with ALL caps since it will be tough to read the text and the human mind is going to take time to absorb it.
• Make use of an appropriate style as well as the size of font which should be able to convey the info effectively.
9. Number formats
In case you display numbers with more than the required level of precision, the users might find it difficult to understand and read.
• Numbers must be rounded whenever possible since the users can become confused by long numbers.
• It will also be imperative to truncate any unwanted information.
• Make it simpler for the users to compare details which are simple.
Make use of labels while designing dashboards UI for conveying the required data to the user effectively as well as quickly.
• Never use rotated labels given that they can be tough for the user to read.
• Make use of standard abbreviations whenever you can.
The primary intention of dashboards will be to save time as well as effort while providing a simple representation of complicated information. It is imperative for the dashboard to convey critical info to the user in such a manner that they will be able to comprehend it. Ensure to provide what your audience requires out there.